Cost-benefit analysis of a clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program in a renal transplant clinic

Marie A. Chisholm, Leslie J. Vollenweider, Laura L. Mulloy, James J. Wynn, William E. Wade, Joseph T. DiPiro

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

33 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Medicare pays for 80% of the cost of immunosuppressant agents needed within the first 3 years of solid organ transplantation; however, many patients cannot afford the remaining 20%. Furthermore, many patients who are beyond 3 years post-transplantation and have prescription coverage cannot afford the co-payment for these medications. Other patients may not be able to afford their medications due to limited or no insurance coverage. The Medical College of Georgia (MCG) has been giving immunosuppressant medications to renal transplant patients if they cannot afford to pay for them. To assist MCG with drug cost for medications and maintain quality care for renal transplant patients, a clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program was implemented to procure immunosuppressants from pharmaceutical manufacturers. Methods: All patients enrolled in medication assistance programs from 1 January 1998 through 31 December 1998 were included in this analysis. Medication acquisition costs with and without Medicare reimbursement and the cost of implementing the clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program were used to determine the value of implementing this service. Results: Sixty-one patients were enrolled in manufacturers' assistance programs and a net cost avoidance of $124,793 was realized for the year of the program (benefit-to-cost ratio of 7.5:1). Assuming that the hospital collected the maximum amount allowed for patients receiving Medicare benefits, a cost avoidance of $69,233 was calculated (benefit- to-cost ratio of 4.16:1). Conclusions: A clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program in a renal transplant clinic produced substantial cost savings over this 1-year study period. For each dollar spent in pharmacist's time, a minimum of $4 was returned to the institution.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)304-307
Number of pages4
JournalClinical Transplantation
Volume14
Issue number4I
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2000

Fingerprint

Pharmacists
Cost-Benefit Analysis
Transplants
Kidney
Immunosuppressive Agents
Medicare
Costs and Cost Analysis
Drug Costs
Insurance Coverage
Cost Savings
Quality of Health Care
Organ Transplantation
Prescriptions
Transplantation
Pharmaceutical Preparations

Keywords

  • Medication assistance programs
  • Pharmacy services
  • Transplant patients

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Transplantation

Cite this

Cost-benefit analysis of a clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program in a renal transplant clinic. / Chisholm, Marie A.; Vollenweider, Leslie J.; Mulloy, Laura L.; Wynn, James J.; Wade, William E.; DiPiro, Joseph T.

In: Clinical Transplantation, Vol. 14, No. 4I, 01.01.2000, p. 304-307.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Chisholm, Marie A. ; Vollenweider, Leslie J. ; Mulloy, Laura L. ; Wynn, James J. ; Wade, William E. ; DiPiro, Joseph T. / Cost-benefit analysis of a clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program in a renal transplant clinic. In: Clinical Transplantation. 2000 ; Vol. 14, No. 4I. pp. 304-307.
@article{670812206fc44c3799d6503b03cd0755,
title = "Cost-benefit analysis of a clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program in a renal transplant clinic",
abstract = "Medicare pays for 80{\%} of the cost of immunosuppressant agents needed within the first 3 years of solid organ transplantation; however, many patients cannot afford the remaining 20{\%}. Furthermore, many patients who are beyond 3 years post-transplantation and have prescription coverage cannot afford the co-payment for these medications. Other patients may not be able to afford their medications due to limited or no insurance coverage. The Medical College of Georgia (MCG) has been giving immunosuppressant medications to renal transplant patients if they cannot afford to pay for them. To assist MCG with drug cost for medications and maintain quality care for renal transplant patients, a clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program was implemented to procure immunosuppressants from pharmaceutical manufacturers. Methods: All patients enrolled in medication assistance programs from 1 January 1998 through 31 December 1998 were included in this analysis. Medication acquisition costs with and without Medicare reimbursement and the cost of implementing the clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program were used to determine the value of implementing this service. Results: Sixty-one patients were enrolled in manufacturers' assistance programs and a net cost avoidance of $124,793 was realized for the year of the program (benefit-to-cost ratio of 7.5:1). Assuming that the hospital collected the maximum amount allowed for patients receiving Medicare benefits, a cost avoidance of $69,233 was calculated (benefit- to-cost ratio of 4.16:1). Conclusions: A clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program in a renal transplant clinic produced substantial cost savings over this 1-year study period. For each dollar spent in pharmacist's time, a minimum of $4 was returned to the institution.",
keywords = "Medication assistance programs, Pharmacy services, Transplant patients",
author = "Chisholm, {Marie A.} and Vollenweider, {Leslie J.} and Mulloy, {Laura L.} and Wynn, {James J.} and Wade, {William E.} and DiPiro, {Joseph T.}",
year = "2000",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1034/j.1399-0012.2000.140405.x",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "14",
pages = "304--307",
journal = "Clinical Transplantation",
issn = "0902-0063",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",
number = "4I",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Cost-benefit analysis of a clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program in a renal transplant clinic

AU - Chisholm, Marie A.

AU - Vollenweider, Leslie J.

AU - Mulloy, Laura L.

AU - Wynn, James J.

AU - Wade, William E.

AU - DiPiro, Joseph T.

PY - 2000/1/1

Y1 - 2000/1/1

N2 - Medicare pays for 80% of the cost of immunosuppressant agents needed within the first 3 years of solid organ transplantation; however, many patients cannot afford the remaining 20%. Furthermore, many patients who are beyond 3 years post-transplantation and have prescription coverage cannot afford the co-payment for these medications. Other patients may not be able to afford their medications due to limited or no insurance coverage. The Medical College of Georgia (MCG) has been giving immunosuppressant medications to renal transplant patients if they cannot afford to pay for them. To assist MCG with drug cost for medications and maintain quality care for renal transplant patients, a clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program was implemented to procure immunosuppressants from pharmaceutical manufacturers. Methods: All patients enrolled in medication assistance programs from 1 January 1998 through 31 December 1998 were included in this analysis. Medication acquisition costs with and without Medicare reimbursement and the cost of implementing the clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program were used to determine the value of implementing this service. Results: Sixty-one patients were enrolled in manufacturers' assistance programs and a net cost avoidance of $124,793 was realized for the year of the program (benefit-to-cost ratio of 7.5:1). Assuming that the hospital collected the maximum amount allowed for patients receiving Medicare benefits, a cost avoidance of $69,233 was calculated (benefit- to-cost ratio of 4.16:1). Conclusions: A clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program in a renal transplant clinic produced substantial cost savings over this 1-year study period. For each dollar spent in pharmacist's time, a minimum of $4 was returned to the institution.

AB - Medicare pays for 80% of the cost of immunosuppressant agents needed within the first 3 years of solid organ transplantation; however, many patients cannot afford the remaining 20%. Furthermore, many patients who are beyond 3 years post-transplantation and have prescription coverage cannot afford the co-payment for these medications. Other patients may not be able to afford their medications due to limited or no insurance coverage. The Medical College of Georgia (MCG) has been giving immunosuppressant medications to renal transplant patients if they cannot afford to pay for them. To assist MCG with drug cost for medications and maintain quality care for renal transplant patients, a clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program was implemented to procure immunosuppressants from pharmaceutical manufacturers. Methods: All patients enrolled in medication assistance programs from 1 January 1998 through 31 December 1998 were included in this analysis. Medication acquisition costs with and without Medicare reimbursement and the cost of implementing the clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program were used to determine the value of implementing this service. Results: Sixty-one patients were enrolled in manufacturers' assistance programs and a net cost avoidance of $124,793 was realized for the year of the program (benefit-to-cost ratio of 7.5:1). Assuming that the hospital collected the maximum amount allowed for patients receiving Medicare benefits, a cost avoidance of $69,233 was calculated (benefit- to-cost ratio of 4.16:1). Conclusions: A clinical pharmacist-managed medication assistance program in a renal transplant clinic produced substantial cost savings over this 1-year study period. For each dollar spent in pharmacist's time, a minimum of $4 was returned to the institution.

KW - Medication assistance programs

KW - Pharmacy services

KW - Transplant patients

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0033916626&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0033916626&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1034/j.1399-0012.2000.140405.x

DO - 10.1034/j.1399-0012.2000.140405.x

M3 - Article

C2 - 10945200

AN - SCOPUS:0033916626

VL - 14

SP - 304

EP - 307

JO - Clinical Transplantation

JF - Clinical Transplantation

SN - 0902-0063

IS - 4I

ER -