Smoking as dominant risk factor for anastomotic leak after left colon resection

Rebeccah B. Baucom, Benjamin K. Poulose, Alan J. Herline, Roberta L. Muldoon, Molly M. Cone, Timothy M. Geiger

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

10 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background Some risk factors for anastomotic leak have been identified, but the effect of smoking is unknown. Methods This study aimed to evaluate the effect of smoking on clinical leak after left-sided anastomoses. Adult patients who underwent elective left colectomy between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2012 were included. Those with stomas and inflammatory bowel diseases were excluded. Primary outcome was anastomotic leak requiring percutaneous drainage or operative intervention within 30 days. Results There were 246 patients included; 56% were female. Most had a diagnosis of diverticular disease (53%) or cancer (37%). Anastomotic leak rate was 6.5% (n = 16). The rate in smokers was 17% versus 5% in nonsmokers (P =.01). Smokers had over 4 times greater chance of leak (odds ratio 4.2, 95% confidence interval 1.3 to 13.5, P =.02). Conclusion Smoking is a risk factor for leak after left colectomy. Consideration should be given to delaying elective left colectomy until smoking cessation is achieved.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1-5
Number of pages5
JournalAmerican Journal of Surgery
Volume210
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2015
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Anastomotic Leak
Colectomy
Colon
Smoking
Smoking Cessation
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
Drainage
Odds Ratio
Confidence Intervals
Neoplasms

Keywords

  • Anastomotic leak
  • Colectomy
  • Left colectomy
  • Risk factors
  • Smoking

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Cite this

Baucom, R. B., Poulose, B. K., Herline, A. J., Muldoon, R. L., Cone, M. M., & Geiger, T. M. (2015). Smoking as dominant risk factor for anastomotic leak after left colon resection. American Journal of Surgery, 210(1), 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2014.10.033

Smoking as dominant risk factor for anastomotic leak after left colon resection. / Baucom, Rebeccah B.; Poulose, Benjamin K.; Herline, Alan J.; Muldoon, Roberta L.; Cone, Molly M.; Geiger, Timothy M.

In: American Journal of Surgery, Vol. 210, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 1-5.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Baucom, RB, Poulose, BK, Herline, AJ, Muldoon, RL, Cone, MM & Geiger, TM 2015, 'Smoking as dominant risk factor for anastomotic leak after left colon resection', American Journal of Surgery, vol. 210, no. 1, pp. 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2014.10.033
Baucom, Rebeccah B. ; Poulose, Benjamin K. ; Herline, Alan J. ; Muldoon, Roberta L. ; Cone, Molly M. ; Geiger, Timothy M. / Smoking as dominant risk factor for anastomotic leak after left colon resection. In: American Journal of Surgery. 2015 ; Vol. 210, No. 1. pp. 1-5.
@article{c2eb44c0f228456aa51483f80bd500ff,
title = "Smoking as dominant risk factor for anastomotic leak after left colon resection",
abstract = "Background Some risk factors for anastomotic leak have been identified, but the effect of smoking is unknown. Methods This study aimed to evaluate the effect of smoking on clinical leak after left-sided anastomoses. Adult patients who underwent elective left colectomy between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2012 were included. Those with stomas and inflammatory bowel diseases were excluded. Primary outcome was anastomotic leak requiring percutaneous drainage or operative intervention within 30 days. Results There were 246 patients included; 56{\%} were female. Most had a diagnosis of diverticular disease (53{\%}) or cancer (37{\%}). Anastomotic leak rate was 6.5{\%} (n = 16). The rate in smokers was 17{\%} versus 5{\%} in nonsmokers (P =.01). Smokers had over 4 times greater chance of leak (odds ratio 4.2, 95{\%} confidence interval 1.3 to 13.5, P =.02). Conclusion Smoking is a risk factor for leak after left colectomy. Consideration should be given to delaying elective left colectomy until smoking cessation is achieved.",
keywords = "Anastomotic leak, Colectomy, Left colectomy, Risk factors, Smoking",
author = "Baucom, {Rebeccah B.} and Poulose, {Benjamin K.} and Herline, {Alan J.} and Muldoon, {Roberta L.} and Cone, {Molly M.} and Geiger, {Timothy M.}",
year = "2015",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.amjsurg.2014.10.033",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "210",
pages = "1--5",
journal = "American Journal of Surgery",
issn = "0002-9610",
publisher = "Elsevier Inc.",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Smoking as dominant risk factor for anastomotic leak after left colon resection

AU - Baucom, Rebeccah B.

AU - Poulose, Benjamin K.

AU - Herline, Alan J.

AU - Muldoon, Roberta L.

AU - Cone, Molly M.

AU - Geiger, Timothy M.

PY - 2015/1/1

Y1 - 2015/1/1

N2 - Background Some risk factors for anastomotic leak have been identified, but the effect of smoking is unknown. Methods This study aimed to evaluate the effect of smoking on clinical leak after left-sided anastomoses. Adult patients who underwent elective left colectomy between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2012 were included. Those with stomas and inflammatory bowel diseases were excluded. Primary outcome was anastomotic leak requiring percutaneous drainage or operative intervention within 30 days. Results There were 246 patients included; 56% were female. Most had a diagnosis of diverticular disease (53%) or cancer (37%). Anastomotic leak rate was 6.5% (n = 16). The rate in smokers was 17% versus 5% in nonsmokers (P =.01). Smokers had over 4 times greater chance of leak (odds ratio 4.2, 95% confidence interval 1.3 to 13.5, P =.02). Conclusion Smoking is a risk factor for leak after left colectomy. Consideration should be given to delaying elective left colectomy until smoking cessation is achieved.

AB - Background Some risk factors for anastomotic leak have been identified, but the effect of smoking is unknown. Methods This study aimed to evaluate the effect of smoking on clinical leak after left-sided anastomoses. Adult patients who underwent elective left colectomy between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2012 were included. Those with stomas and inflammatory bowel diseases were excluded. Primary outcome was anastomotic leak requiring percutaneous drainage or operative intervention within 30 days. Results There were 246 patients included; 56% were female. Most had a diagnosis of diverticular disease (53%) or cancer (37%). Anastomotic leak rate was 6.5% (n = 16). The rate in smokers was 17% versus 5% in nonsmokers (P =.01). Smokers had over 4 times greater chance of leak (odds ratio 4.2, 95% confidence interval 1.3 to 13.5, P =.02). Conclusion Smoking is a risk factor for leak after left colectomy. Consideration should be given to delaying elective left colectomy until smoking cessation is achieved.

KW - Anastomotic leak

KW - Colectomy

KW - Left colectomy

KW - Risk factors

KW - Smoking

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84931565002&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84931565002&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2014.10.033

DO - 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2014.10.033

M3 - Article

C2 - 25910885

AN - SCOPUS:84931565002

VL - 210

SP - 1

EP - 5

JO - American Journal of Surgery

JF - American Journal of Surgery

SN - 0002-9610

IS - 1

ER -