Use of scalp-sphenoidal EEG for seizure localization in temporal lobe epilepsy

Anthony M Murro, Yong D Park, D. W. King, B. B. Gallagher, J. R. Smith, W. Littleton

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

5 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

We determined the accuracy and sensitivity of scalp-sphenoidal EEG for seizure focus localization in 50 patients who became seizure-free or had rare seizures following temporal lobectomy. EEG localization was based on concordant interpretations of scalp-sphenoidal ictal EEG by three independent interpreters. All patients became seizure-free or had rare seizures following temporal lobectomy. Localization from EEG disagreed with the side of surgery in only 1 (2%) of 50 patients. We identified 3 distinct patient groups with a low, moderate, and high likelihood of having a focal ictal EEG pattern during a seizure. These groups comprised 31% (low likelihood), 44% (moderate likelihood), and 25% (high likelihood) of patients. A model based on these results suggests that with multiple ictal EEG recordings, accurate localization from scalp-sphenoidal EEG is possible in approximately up to 65–70% of patients with temporal lobe epilepsy.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)216-219
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Clinical Neurophysiology
Volume11
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 1994

Fingerprint

Temporal Lobe Epilepsy
Scalp
Electroencephalography
Seizures
Stroke

Keywords

  • Electro-encephalography
  • Epilepsy
  • Epilepsy surgery
  • Sphenoidal electrodes
  • Temporal lobe
  • Video/EEG monitoring

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Physiology
  • Neurology
  • Clinical Neurology
  • Physiology (medical)

Cite this

Use of scalp-sphenoidal EEG for seizure localization in temporal lobe epilepsy. / Murro, Anthony M; Park, Yong D; King, D. W.; Gallagher, B. B.; Smith, J. R.; Littleton, W.

In: Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, Vol. 11, No. 2, 01.01.1994, p. 216-219.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Murro, Anthony M ; Park, Yong D ; King, D. W. ; Gallagher, B. B. ; Smith, J. R. ; Littleton, W. / Use of scalp-sphenoidal EEG for seizure localization in temporal lobe epilepsy. In: Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology. 1994 ; Vol. 11, No. 2. pp. 216-219.
@article{bd391fd17d704e83b407d5299ea0886f,
title = "Use of scalp-sphenoidal EEG for seizure localization in temporal lobe epilepsy",
abstract = "We determined the accuracy and sensitivity of scalp-sphenoidal EEG for seizure focus localization in 50 patients who became seizure-free or had rare seizures following temporal lobectomy. EEG localization was based on concordant interpretations of scalp-sphenoidal ictal EEG by three independent interpreters. All patients became seizure-free or had rare seizures following temporal lobectomy. Localization from EEG disagreed with the side of surgery in only 1 (2{\%}) of 50 patients. We identified 3 distinct patient groups with a low, moderate, and high likelihood of having a focal ictal EEG pattern during a seizure. These groups comprised 31{\%} (low likelihood), 44{\%} (moderate likelihood), and 25{\%} (high likelihood) of patients. A model based on these results suggests that with multiple ictal EEG recordings, accurate localization from scalp-sphenoidal EEG is possible in approximately up to 65–70{\%} of patients with temporal lobe epilepsy.",
keywords = "Electro-encephalography, Epilepsy, Epilepsy surgery, Sphenoidal electrodes, Temporal lobe, Video/EEG monitoring",
author = "Murro, {Anthony M} and Park, {Yong D} and King, {D. W.} and Gallagher, {B. B.} and Smith, {J. R.} and W. Littleton",
year = "1994",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1097/00004691-199403000-00006",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "11",
pages = "216--219",
journal = "Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology",
issn = "0736-0258",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Use of scalp-sphenoidal EEG for seizure localization in temporal lobe epilepsy

AU - Murro, Anthony M

AU - Park, Yong D

AU - King, D. W.

AU - Gallagher, B. B.

AU - Smith, J. R.

AU - Littleton, W.

PY - 1994/1/1

Y1 - 1994/1/1

N2 - We determined the accuracy and sensitivity of scalp-sphenoidal EEG for seizure focus localization in 50 patients who became seizure-free or had rare seizures following temporal lobectomy. EEG localization was based on concordant interpretations of scalp-sphenoidal ictal EEG by three independent interpreters. All patients became seizure-free or had rare seizures following temporal lobectomy. Localization from EEG disagreed with the side of surgery in only 1 (2%) of 50 patients. We identified 3 distinct patient groups with a low, moderate, and high likelihood of having a focal ictal EEG pattern during a seizure. These groups comprised 31% (low likelihood), 44% (moderate likelihood), and 25% (high likelihood) of patients. A model based on these results suggests that with multiple ictal EEG recordings, accurate localization from scalp-sphenoidal EEG is possible in approximately up to 65–70% of patients with temporal lobe epilepsy.

AB - We determined the accuracy and sensitivity of scalp-sphenoidal EEG for seizure focus localization in 50 patients who became seizure-free or had rare seizures following temporal lobectomy. EEG localization was based on concordant interpretations of scalp-sphenoidal ictal EEG by three independent interpreters. All patients became seizure-free or had rare seizures following temporal lobectomy. Localization from EEG disagreed with the side of surgery in only 1 (2%) of 50 patients. We identified 3 distinct patient groups with a low, moderate, and high likelihood of having a focal ictal EEG pattern during a seizure. These groups comprised 31% (low likelihood), 44% (moderate likelihood), and 25% (high likelihood) of patients. A model based on these results suggests that with multiple ictal EEG recordings, accurate localization from scalp-sphenoidal EEG is possible in approximately up to 65–70% of patients with temporal lobe epilepsy.

KW - Electro-encephalography

KW - Epilepsy

KW - Epilepsy surgery

KW - Sphenoidal electrodes

KW - Temporal lobe

KW - Video/EEG monitoring

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0028323005&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0028323005&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1097/00004691-199403000-00006

DO - 10.1097/00004691-199403000-00006

M3 - Article

VL - 11

SP - 216

EP - 219

JO - Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology

JF - Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology

SN - 0736-0258

IS - 2

ER -