Acute toxicity of ingested fluoride

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter

20 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

This chapter discusses the characteristics and treatment of acute fluoride toxicity as well as the most common sources of overexposure, the doses that cause acute toxicity, and factors that can influence the clinical outcome. Cases of serious systemic toxicity and fatalities due to acute exposures are now rare, but overexposures causing toxic signs and symptoms are not. The clinical course of systemic toxicity from ingested fluoride begins with gastric signs and symptoms, and can develop with alarming rapidity. Treatment involves minimizing absorption by administering a solution containing calcium, monitoring and managing plasma calcium and potassium concentrations, acid-base status, and supporting vital functions. Approximately 30,000 calls to US poison control centers concerning acute exposures in children are made each year, most of which involve temporary gastrointestinal effects, but others require medical treatment. The most common sources of acute overexposures today are dental products - particularly dentifrices because of their relatively high fluoride concentrations, pleasant flavors, and their presence in non-secure locations in most homes. For example, ingestion of only 1.8 ounces of a standard fluoridated dentifrice (900-1,100 mg/kg) by a 10-kg child delivers enough fluoride to reach the 'probably toxic dose' (5 mg/kg body weight). Factors that may influence the clinical course of an overexposure include the chemical compound (e.g. NaF, MFP, etc.), the age and acid-base status of the individual, and the elapsed time between exposure and the initiation of treatment. While fluoride has well-established beneficial dental effects and cases of serious toxicity are now rare, the potential for toxicity requires that fluoride-containing materials be handled and stored with the respect they deserve.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Title of host publicationFluoride and the Oral Environment
EditorsMarilia Afonso Rabelo Buzalaf
Pages66-80
Number of pages15
DOIs
StatePublished - Jun 1 2011

Publication series

NameMonographs in Oral Science
Volume22
ISSN (Print)0077-0892
ISSN (Electronic)1662-3843

Fingerprint

Fluorides
Dentifrices
Poisons
Signs and Symptoms
Tooth
Poison Control Centers
Calcium
Acids
Therapeutics
Stomach
Potassium
Eating
Body Weight

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Dentistry(all)

Cite this

Whitford, G. M. (2011). Acute toxicity of ingested fluoride. In M. A. R. Buzalaf (Ed.), Fluoride and the Oral Environment (pp. 66-80). (Monographs in Oral Science; Vol. 22). https://doi.org/10.1159/000325146

Acute toxicity of ingested fluoride. / Whitford, Gary M.

Fluoride and the Oral Environment. ed. / Marilia Afonso Rabelo Buzalaf. 2011. p. 66-80 (Monographs in Oral Science; Vol. 22).

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter

Whitford, GM 2011, Acute toxicity of ingested fluoride. in MAR Buzalaf (ed.), Fluoride and the Oral Environment. Monographs in Oral Science, vol. 22, pp. 66-80. https://doi.org/10.1159/000325146
Whitford GM. Acute toxicity of ingested fluoride. In Buzalaf MAR, editor, Fluoride and the Oral Environment. 2011. p. 66-80. (Monographs in Oral Science). https://doi.org/10.1159/000325146
Whitford, Gary M. / Acute toxicity of ingested fluoride. Fluoride and the Oral Environment. editor / Marilia Afonso Rabelo Buzalaf. 2011. pp. 66-80 (Monographs in Oral Science).
@inbook{52a5151cca4243308bfab4c6a8dd07f4,
title = "Acute toxicity of ingested fluoride",
abstract = "This chapter discusses the characteristics and treatment of acute fluoride toxicity as well as the most common sources of overexposure, the doses that cause acute toxicity, and factors that can influence the clinical outcome. Cases of serious systemic toxicity and fatalities due to acute exposures are now rare, but overexposures causing toxic signs and symptoms are not. The clinical course of systemic toxicity from ingested fluoride begins with gastric signs and symptoms, and can develop with alarming rapidity. Treatment involves minimizing absorption by administering a solution containing calcium, monitoring and managing plasma calcium and potassium concentrations, acid-base status, and supporting vital functions. Approximately 30,000 calls to US poison control centers concerning acute exposures in children are made each year, most of which involve temporary gastrointestinal effects, but others require medical treatment. The most common sources of acute overexposures today are dental products - particularly dentifrices because of their relatively high fluoride concentrations, pleasant flavors, and their presence in non-secure locations in most homes. For example, ingestion of only 1.8 ounces of a standard fluoridated dentifrice (900-1,100 mg/kg) by a 10-kg child delivers enough fluoride to reach the 'probably toxic dose' (5 mg/kg body weight). Factors that may influence the clinical course of an overexposure include the chemical compound (e.g. NaF, MFP, etc.), the age and acid-base status of the individual, and the elapsed time between exposure and the initiation of treatment. While fluoride has well-established beneficial dental effects and cases of serious toxicity are now rare, the potential for toxicity requires that fluoride-containing materials be handled and stored with the respect they deserve.",
author = "Whitford, {Gary M.}",
year = "2011",
month = "6",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1159/000325146",
language = "English (US)",
isbn = "9783805596589",
series = "Monographs in Oral Science",
pages = "66--80",
editor = "Buzalaf, {Marilia Afonso Rabelo}",
booktitle = "Fluoride and the Oral Environment",

}

TY - CHAP

T1 - Acute toxicity of ingested fluoride

AU - Whitford, Gary M.

PY - 2011/6/1

Y1 - 2011/6/1

N2 - This chapter discusses the characteristics and treatment of acute fluoride toxicity as well as the most common sources of overexposure, the doses that cause acute toxicity, and factors that can influence the clinical outcome. Cases of serious systemic toxicity and fatalities due to acute exposures are now rare, but overexposures causing toxic signs and symptoms are not. The clinical course of systemic toxicity from ingested fluoride begins with gastric signs and symptoms, and can develop with alarming rapidity. Treatment involves minimizing absorption by administering a solution containing calcium, monitoring and managing plasma calcium and potassium concentrations, acid-base status, and supporting vital functions. Approximately 30,000 calls to US poison control centers concerning acute exposures in children are made each year, most of which involve temporary gastrointestinal effects, but others require medical treatment. The most common sources of acute overexposures today are dental products - particularly dentifrices because of their relatively high fluoride concentrations, pleasant flavors, and their presence in non-secure locations in most homes. For example, ingestion of only 1.8 ounces of a standard fluoridated dentifrice (900-1,100 mg/kg) by a 10-kg child delivers enough fluoride to reach the 'probably toxic dose' (5 mg/kg body weight). Factors that may influence the clinical course of an overexposure include the chemical compound (e.g. NaF, MFP, etc.), the age and acid-base status of the individual, and the elapsed time between exposure and the initiation of treatment. While fluoride has well-established beneficial dental effects and cases of serious toxicity are now rare, the potential for toxicity requires that fluoride-containing materials be handled and stored with the respect they deserve.

AB - This chapter discusses the characteristics and treatment of acute fluoride toxicity as well as the most common sources of overexposure, the doses that cause acute toxicity, and factors that can influence the clinical outcome. Cases of serious systemic toxicity and fatalities due to acute exposures are now rare, but overexposures causing toxic signs and symptoms are not. The clinical course of systemic toxicity from ingested fluoride begins with gastric signs and symptoms, and can develop with alarming rapidity. Treatment involves minimizing absorption by administering a solution containing calcium, monitoring and managing plasma calcium and potassium concentrations, acid-base status, and supporting vital functions. Approximately 30,000 calls to US poison control centers concerning acute exposures in children are made each year, most of which involve temporary gastrointestinal effects, but others require medical treatment. The most common sources of acute overexposures today are dental products - particularly dentifrices because of their relatively high fluoride concentrations, pleasant flavors, and their presence in non-secure locations in most homes. For example, ingestion of only 1.8 ounces of a standard fluoridated dentifrice (900-1,100 mg/kg) by a 10-kg child delivers enough fluoride to reach the 'probably toxic dose' (5 mg/kg body weight). Factors that may influence the clinical course of an overexposure include the chemical compound (e.g. NaF, MFP, etc.), the age and acid-base status of the individual, and the elapsed time between exposure and the initiation of treatment. While fluoride has well-established beneficial dental effects and cases of serious toxicity are now rare, the potential for toxicity requires that fluoride-containing materials be handled and stored with the respect they deserve.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=79960285439&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=79960285439&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1159/000325146

DO - 10.1159/000325146

M3 - Chapter

SN - 9783805596589

T3 - Monographs in Oral Science

SP - 66

EP - 80

BT - Fluoride and the Oral Environment

A2 - Buzalaf, Marilia Afonso Rabelo

ER -