Ozone toxicity to bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) was determined using standard bioassay procedures. In initial work bluegill were exposed to water containing ozone for 24 h; the Lc50 was 0.06 ppm. A second experiment simulated “shock defouling” — the periodic dosing of power plant cooling water with high biocide concentrations to prevent biofouling. The Lc50 for a series of six 30-min exposure periods spaced 8 h apart was 0.32 ppm. A third experiment attempting to determine the effects of sublethal concentrations resulted in the death of 9 of 15 bluegill after 4 weeks of exposure to 0.01 ppm of ozone. No controls died in any experiment. It was concluded that ozone is highly toxic to bluegill. Safe limits for long-term exposure probably lie well below 0.01 ppm. The results of this study and an examination of the literature indicate that ozone is more toxic than chlorine; however ozone is readily removed from treated water while some chlorine compounds are not.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||25|
|Journal||Journal of Environmental Science and Health. Part A: Environmental Science and Engineering|
|State||Published - Jan 1 1979|
- Ozone Toxicity
ASJC Scopus subject areas