When novelty isn't enough: A case study of students' reactions to technology in the classroom.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

It is estimated that 75% of learning is accounted for by motivation, meaningfulness and memory. The remaining 25% is dependent upon the effects of the physical environment. A study was undertaken to discover the impact a 'novel' university classroom might have on undergraduate and instructor interaction. Using the tools of observation, interview, and survey, this study focused on how communication was affected when a 'non-computer-oriented' course was taught in a computer laboratory. 16 students participated in the study. Ss were less likely to interact with each other during class discussions in this type of environment. It was also found that many students were uncomfortable around computers and the presence of technology in the classroom may have hindered interaction. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved)
Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)320-325
Number of pages6
JournalCollege Student Journal
Volume28
Issue number3
StatePublished - Sep 1 1994

Keywords

  • Classroom Environment
  • Computers
  • Group Discussion
  • Teacher Student Interaction

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'When novelty isn't enough: A case study of students' reactions to technology in the classroom.'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this